Saturday 29 August 2015

Starting University: Advice!

Hello guys,

I hope you've all had a lovely summer. With only a couple weeks left until most universities go back, I thought I'd do a quick post on what I learnt throughout my first year! I'm currently a student at the University of Kent about to going into my second year studying International Business :) 


1) Do not over pack!
Everyone that knows me would know that I'm not one for packing light. So, when packing up all my stuff to take to my new halls room I literally shoved everything I possibly could into the car 'just in case.' Write a list, and remember you can always ask your parents to bring stuff when they visit if you forget!

2) Keep your bedroom door open
If you're moving into halls, one of the best way to meet your new flat mates is to keep your door open on arrivals day. It makes introducing yourself so much easier.

3) Go to Freshers Fair
You'd be surprised how much free stuff is on offer! From free Nando's to all the pens you'll need all year, it's a great way to join societies and spend time with flatmates too. 

4) Don't blow all your student loan!
This is what I definitely found the hardest. Being quite a bit (a lot) of a shopaholic, I found it really hard not to go into town on student loan day with my friends and spend every penny I had. You'd be surprised how quickly it goes on nights out and food, you don't want to left with nothing!

5) Just, don't panic.
I know everyone always says "you're all in the same boat!" and "everyone is going through it!", and it's just not any comfort sometimes. But, they really are. I found it hard packing up and leaving, but you just have to remember that your friends, family and boyfriends/girlfriends are never more than a phone call away. Everyone feels homesick at some point, so don't worry if you do!


I hope this little post with what I've learnt over my first year helped. If you're going to university, good luck! :)

Sophia xx

No comments:

Post a Comment